I was challenged by a co-worker to make this recipe! They are doing the NoSugarTODAY challenge from the Today Show and saw this ice cream featured.
Everyone knew I had previously made those delightful avocado cocoa bomb cookies, so they knew I was up for making a non-traditional item. I’m not sure she thought I’d actually do it though. Friends know I don’t turn down a dare – even not in dare form.
I tried to find a recipe that was sugar-free, dairy-free and all-natural, but still would taste not (too) healthy. That proved difficult. So I created a hodge-podge of ones already out there.
And only 5 ingredients – plus extracts for a little extra flavor!
A really important step? Don’t forget to de-pit and soak your dates. I bought pitted because – ease.
My favorite ingredient? The avocado, the all-time best ingredient to add to ANYTHING! Healthy fat…which helps stop baby brain (Babies suck out your fat cells in your brain to create their own healthy bodies.), and an easy creaminess factor without dairy.
Shove it all in a blender. I use a Ninja. 😉
Finished product! Easy, healthy and it works for those who are detoxing and following a no-sugar diet. Even the cat loved it!
Here’s the coverage on air!
- 1 cup mashed sweet potato flesh
- 1 can full fat unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 medium avocado
- 6-8 dates, pitted and soaked until plump
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 tbs. vanilla extract (make sure they are all-natural and sugar-free)
- 1 tsp. raspberry extract
- 1 tbs. maple extract
- Optional mint garnish
- Remove pits from dates. Soak in water.
- Blend all ingredients in blender until smooth and creamy.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Add mixture to ice cream maker and freeze according to its directions. (I did 40 minutes' worth of blending)
- Serve immediately with fresh mint garnish. (I used my own garden mint!)